Pärchen mit Umzugskartons in den Händen
Answers to your questions

The tenant handbook of WOBAG Grevesmühlen

Leasing process

How do I become a tenant with WOBAG?

  1. If you are not yet registered with us as a prospective tenant, you must first fill out a questionnaire for prospective tenants. Here you can enter information about the desired city, the number of rooms, the size of the apartment, the rent and much more. You will then be registered with us.
  2. As soon as we have an apartment on offer that matches your search, we will contact you to arrange a viewing of the apartment. If the apartment does not meet your expectations, please let us know, stating the reason, so that we can modify your request if necessary.
  3. If the apartment meets your expectations, we will draw up a rental contract. After signing the contract and paying the deposit, the apartment will then be handed over by the responsible janitor after prior appointment.

Why should I fill out the housing prospect form?

Your data will help us to select suitable apartment offers for you. Not all of our vacant apartments are displayed on our website, so our staff can introduce you to other available apartments.

In addition, if the apartment is still rented, we can only give you the contact details of tenants if we have your data.

Do I have to pay a commission to WOBAG?

No. With us you only pay the agreed rent plus the deposit.

Is there a minimum rental period?

As a rule, not. In the event of termination, only the statutory period of 3 months must be observed.

However, if WOBAG has made any changes to the apartment at the tenant's request, then the minimum rental period of one year applies. The waiver of termination then applies to both contracting parties. Extraordinary termination - for example due to significant rental defects or other important reasons - is possible despite the waiver of termination.

Do you become a member of WOBAG?

No. We are a housing association (GmbH) and not a cooperative.

As a trainee / student, am I allowed to sign a rental agreement on my own?

No, to secure the lease, a second party with their own regular income is required.

How long does it take to get an apartment?

Unfortunately, this cannot be predicted, because it depends on many factors. We look for offers that meet your wishes. However, there are often several interested parties looking for the same apartment, so unfortunately we cannot fulfill every wish. If there is more than one interested party, we allocate an apartment according to fixed criteria, such as waiting time and creditworthiness of the interested party. In order to check the creditworthiness of the tenant, WOBAG obtains information regarding the personal statistical data stored about the tenant from a contractually bound credit agency.


How much is the deposit?

The deposit is generally payable in the amount of three months' rent. Payment in installments is possible by agreement. The deposit is invested separately and bears interest at market rates.

When is the deposit to be paid?

The deposit must be paid before the keys are handed over for the new apartment. In the case of installment agreements, the 1st installment is due immediately and the remaining installments are always due on the 1st of the following months.

Rent and service charges

What is the composition of my rent?

The rent is made up of the net cold rent, the advance payment for operating costs and heating costs and, if applicable, the parking space or garage fee. The electricity costs are paid separately to the responsible energy supplier.

How are operating costs billed?

The billing must include all allocable operating costs and be comprehensible. Tenants have the right to review the operating cost statement within 12 months of receipt and to raise objections. Operating costs are allocated to tenants according to a specific distribution key agreed upon in the lease agreement. This key takes into account the tenant's consumption and the living area of the rental unit. For example, in a distribution key of 70/30, 70% of the operating costs are allocated based on consumption and 30% based on living area.

When is my rent due?

The rent is payable monthly in advance, at the latest by the third working day of each month. With the SEPA direct debit mandate, the rent will be debited from your account. If your bank details change, please inform us in good time.

What are operating costs?

Operating costs are all expenses incurred for the proper management, maintenance, and repair of a building or property. These costs are regulated in the lease agreement and can be passed on from the landlord to the tenant. It is more precisely regulated in the operating costs ordinance.

They include, among other things,

  • costs for taxes/public burdens,
  • water supply,
  • drainage,
  • heating,
  • hot water supply,
  • costs for connected systems (heating and hot water in combined systems),
  • elevator costs,
  • street cleaning and garbage disposal,
  • house cleaning,
  • chimney cleaning,
  • insurance,
  • communal antenna,
  • lighting,
  • garden maintenance,
  • caretaker,
  • washing machines (community laundry facilities),
  • and other costs.

Operating and heating cost accounting

How is my consumption read?

Your apartment is equipped with radio meters. The consumption values are transmitted via radio, so no access to your apartment is necessary for the reading. The data is provided by the respective metering service and is used to prepare the heating cost statement.

When will I receive my statement?

According to § 556 para. 3 BGB, the operating cost statement must be issued no later than twelve months after the end of a billing period. A billing period covers twelve months from January 1 to December 31 of a year. However, we usually issue the statement between the second and third quarter of the following year.

Who can I contact if I have questions about the operating cost statement?

The employees of WOBAG from the operating costs department will be happy to assist you. Contact: Frau Daschke, Phone: 03881/7837-11, Email: daschke@wobaggvm.de

Why is my additional claim so high, even though I have only lived in the apartment for a few months?

The advance payments are always calculated for a full calendar year. If an apartment is only occupied and billed in the first few months of a year (e.g. if notice is given on March 31) or in the last few months of a year (e.g. if the tenant moves in on October 1), the advance payments will unfortunately not be sufficient in the vast majority of cases.

Why are my costs higher/lower compared to the previous year?

The amount of your operating costs can vary from year to year for various reasons and is usually nothing unusual. Possible reasons include higher consumption: if, compared to the previous year, you have used more electricity, water, heating, etc., or if another person has joined your household, your operating costs will accordingly be higher. In addition, the continuously rising price increases of our service providers should be taken into account. It is also possible that additional types of operating costs have been added, such as staircase cleaning in your entrance.

Why does my neighbor have a credit and I do not?

As previously explained, your personal usage behavior has a direct impact on your costs. In addition to consumption, the size of the apartment and the advance payments made should also be considered. Suppose you and your neighbor have the same consumption, but your neighbor's apartment is smaller by one room, or your neighbor's advance payments were higher than yours.

I will not be in my apartment for an extended period – do I still have to make the advance payment for operating costs?

The agreement on the payment of the advance payment of operating costs is held in the lease agreement and must be paid regardless of the use of the apartment. However, since the advance payments are set as a lump sum, you can expect a credit and consequently a refund in case of prolonged absence.

I moved out within a year. What should I consider?

As a tenant, you don't need to worry about anything. The operating cost statement will be prepared after all invoices are received, which happens after the end of the billing period (a calendar year). When preparing the statement, only your proportional rental period will be considered.

What happens to the credit or additional payment amount?

If you have given us a SEPA direct debit mandate to debit the rent, the payment of the credit or the collection of the additional payment will be made to the bank account known to us approx. 4-6 weeks after receipt of the statement. Please inform us of any changes in your bank details. If you transfer the rent to us yourself, for example by standing order, then please take your credit or additional payment into account in the next monthly payment.

Can I also view the billing documents?

Yes, you can view the documents in the business premises of WOBAG. Please make an appointment with us.

How can I save on operating costs?

There are several ways to save on operating costs, including

  • using energy-efficient appliances and systems,
  • using electricity and water consciously,
  • ventilating regularly,
  • and avoiding waste.


Here are some specific energy-saving tips:

  • do not leave windows open for a long time when heating,
  • clear your radiators if furniture is in front of them,
  • replace old light bulbs with energy-saving lamps or LED bulbs,
  • wash your laundry at lower temperatures,
  • and prefer showering over bathing.


Where can I report a repair?

Repair orders are accepted by the responsible janitors during their opening hours. Outside these hours, you can also leave a message on the answering machine. You are also welcome to submit your repair requests quickly and easily using our Housing Deficiencies form.

Do you have to pay for the repairs in the apartment yourself?

WOBAG will pay for defects for which the tenant is not responsible. However, if the damage is minor, the tenant must bear the costs himself.

What are minor damages?

Minor damages are small damages to the installation objects for electricity, water and gas, heating and cooking equipment, the window and door locks as well as the locking devices of window shutters. The costs of repairing minor damage must be borne by the tenant, if the amount of 100 € is not exceeded in an individual case and 200 € annually.

Average / Emergency

What is an average or emergency?

An emergency is a sudden and unexpected event in which people and property are or may be in danger. Emergencies can be:

  • Total failure of the heating system at sub-zero temperatures
  • Pipe burst
  • Smell of gas in the house
  • Elevator malfunction
  • Pipe blockage with danger of flooding

The blockage of a sink, bath or shower tray drain as well as loud music from the neighbor do not constitute emergencies!

Who can I contact in the event of an accident?

In the event of an emergency during business hours, please contact the WOBAG head office on 03881 7837-0. Outside these hours, please contact the responsible companies, which you can find on your respective house notices.

Termination of the lease

What do I have to consider when terminating my apartment?

  • The statutory notice period for the tenant is 3 months to the end of the month. Notice of termination must always be given in writing in the original and signed by all tenants listed in the rental agreement. It must be received by WOBAG by the 3rd working day of a month at the latest. The termination then becomes legally effective at the end of the month after next. The date of our postmark is decisive for the beginning of the period. If the third working day is exceeded, the end of the notice period is postponed by one month.
  • In isolated cases, very old residential rental agreements may contain formulations that include other notice periods.


What happens after the termination of the lease?

  1. After receipt of the notice of termination, you will immediately receive a confirmation of termination, which contains information on the formalities of the apartment acceptance and the contact person responsible for you.
  2. When giving up the apartment, please bear in mind that all fixtures and fittings made by you or your previous tenant - unless a special agreement has been made with us or they are not part of the apartment's furnishings - must be removed by you. This also applies to all screws and nails; dowel holes must be sealed.
  3. During a preliminary inspection, we will discuss the extent to which the apartment needs to be renovated and whether any damage needs to be repaired. A record is made of this, in which the agreements made are recorded.
  4. The tenancy ends with the final inspection. At this time, the meter readings are also recorded. Please keep in mind that not only all keys received at the beginning of the tenancy have to be handed over to the landlord, but also any keys you may have copied.
  5. Sometimes there are still questions following the tenancy; in particular, you will receive an operating and heating cost statement after the end of the tenancy, as this is always prepared in the following year. For this reason, we ask you to inform us of your new address at the final inspection.

Can I look for a new tenant?

We decide ourselves who will be considered as a new tenant for an apartment. In the case of new rentals, we try to assign the apartments to the registered prospective tenants to the best of our knowledge and belief. In principle, however, it is possible for a tenant to suggest a new tenant to us. However, this person must already be registered with us and from our point of view fit into the house community.


What do I do if my neighbor disturbs the peace?

In the interest of good neighborly relations, the first step should be to talk to the neighbor. If the neighbor then continues to disturb the peace, you can of course send us a message (noise protocol) about it, so that we can remind the neighbor in question to observe the quiet times. In special cases (e.g. loud parties until late at night), the police can also be asked for help.

Am I allowed to keep a pet in the apartment?

Unless small animals such as hamsters, mice or birds are involved, the keeping of pets (e.g. dog) must be approved by WOBAG. This requires a written application , which should include a detailed description of the animal (breed, age, size or expected size) and preferably also a photo. For dogs, liability insurance must be presented to us.

However, there must be no danger or nuisance to the household community from the pets. In the event of complaints from the neighborhood, WOBAG is entitled to impose supplementary conditions on the pet owner for keeping the animal or to revoke the permit for keeping the animal.

Can I sublet an apartment?

Yes, if there is a legitimate interest, this is possible. However, the prerequisite for this is that your apartment is not overcrowded as a result. In any case, WOBAG must be informed about the sublease. A complete transfer of the apartment to third parties is not permitted. Of course, visitors do not have to be registered with us.

What are my tenant responsibilities for house cleaning?

The cleaning of the staircase is mostly done in our houses by the tenants. It is to be done once a week, alternating with the neighbors. A cleaning week always starts on Monday and ends on Sunday. During this time, the respective tenant is responsible for ensuring that the staircase gives a neat and tidy impression at all times. This means that the stairs to the respective floor and the landings are to be swept and mopped. Of course, dust should also be wiped on window sills, on the banisters and on landings.

You can find a corresponding cleaning calendar on our site under Service and Administration/ Download Forms/ Service.

What if my name changes or someone passes away?

For the necessary change in the contract, a relevant official document must be submitted. This may be a copy of the marriage certificate, change of name or a death certificate.